OHHC Juniors Welcome
Junior Management Welcome
Welcome to the Junior Section of our NEW Club Website! We hope you find everything you need to know about what we offer, when we train and play and even who will be delivering the Oxford Hawks Junior Programme!
Since taking the reins at the start of the 2020-21 season, our efforts have been focussed around 3 objectives:
- Increasing the number of opportunities for our juniors to get onto the pitch, ensuring all offerings are fully accessible.
- Improving the quality of what we deliver, through our brilliant group of coaches and enhancing each player’s environment through equipment upgrades etc.
- To continue to improve the club facilities.
We are pleased with the progressions made over the 2 seasons, highlights of which include:
- Junior curriculum – a greater emphasis is now being placed on the basic skills and technique of all players with coaches delivering sessions accordingly.
- Junior coaching team – recruitment of coaches has now meant more Men’s and Ladies 1st XI players are leading and assisting sessions and teams.
- Coach Education / Development – programme introduced which is led by Todd Williams and Duncan Woods, aimed at upskilling further our coaching team to provide consistent messages for all players, regardless of which coach they have.
- Environment – improvement in equipment such as balls, dividers etc. Coaches now in appropriate clothing so easily identifiable.
- Flyerz – disability and inclusion hockey introduced into our programme.
- Primary outreach – PROJECT 2000 – we are now delivering hockey into local schools that usually do not have hockey provision, with an ambitious target of delivering 2000 hours per year across Oxfordshire.
- Young Leader’s Leadership Qualification – we have had 55 Young Leader’s through the programme, with 4 courses scheduled per year.
- More hockey offered, through a full midweek training schedule (including GK’s) as well as Sunday’s.
- Oxford Hawks Junior hockey social media presence - we have a NEW Instagram account. Make sure you FOLLOW ohhc_juniors
- More teams created – where appropriate the introduction of Development training squads / teams. This was introduced with an aim for all players, of all levels, to receive a positive hockey experience every time they step onto the pitch for an Oxford Hawks activity.
- Ball patrol – For Men’s and Ladies’ 1st XI games.
As you can hopefully see from the above, there have been some big strides forward, and these areas will continue to be worked on and refined as we progress.
On top of this though, there are already significant plans for further developments for the Junior section over the next 12 months, which include:
- Increased individual player feedback which will give real specifics for each player to improve their game
- Addition of an Introduction to Hockey Training session for those older juniors that want to pick up a stick! This will allow them to get to grips with the basics before joining their relevant age groups.
- Enhanced U16 / U18 Junior Programme
- Addition of a PROPER coffee machine in the kiosk pitch side - enjoy your flat white whilst watching what's going on on the pitch!
- 2nd Hand kit shop - making the game more accessible than ever! And also doing our bit for the environment
- Upgrading of some of our match shirts
- Fundraising initiatives to help develop the club facilities
So there is plenty going on! We are always on the lookout for help so if you think you can help with any of the above, especially from an administrative perspective, please get in touch.
We can't wait to see you at BRN soon!